Zambia Open Community Schools (ZOCS) is a registered Non-Governmental Organization under the Societies Act Section 7 (1) under the Laws of Zambia. ZOCS is a vibrant and flagship organization of Community Schools since 1992 in Zambia that empowers communities to provide quality basic education to 189,287 learners (93,507 Boys and 95,780 Girls) in 1085 demonstration open community schools across 95 selected districts in all the 10 provinces of Zambia.
The pillars on which ZOCS builds its approach are those of enhanced educational opportunities for children through education policy engagement, increased community capacity to provide such opportunities and ensuring more and better education for more children in communities.
ZOCS is about open, accessible schools for disadvantaged children and communities, and these take priority over everything else.
Main Purpose for the Position:
The holder of this position leads and develops the organization as its Chief Executive Officer and are responsible for spearheading ZOCS’ strategic direction and consistent achievement of programmatic and financial objectives as well as for overseeing ZOCS’ day to day management and high standard of staff performance.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provision of Strategic and Programmatic Management for ZOCS operations
- Assures that the organization has a long term strategy with achievable objectives and goals and that it makes consistent and timely progress towards meetings those goals.
- Provides leadership in developing programs and organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff and in carrying out plans and policies authorized by the board
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
- Ensures that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it
Provision of Leadership in Financial/Administrative Management:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices within ZOCS
- Oversees the development of management reports and annual budgets and ensures ZOCS operates within Board and donor approved budgets
- Responsible for execution of contracts according to stipulated conditions and guidelines.
- Ensures compliance with statutory regulations
- Ensures high quality consultants are engaged for ZOCS assignments and produce work of excellent standards
Developing and Managing ZOCS Staff:
- Responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of policy framework in the human resources function and all other operational areas.
- Ensures that effective performance management systems are in place and working effectively.
- Ensures that quarterly performance evaluations are held and that they influence staff development, movement and contract extensions
- Spearheads succession planning and management within the organization
- Encourages staff and volunteer development and education, ensuring that there is an atmosphere of continuous learning in the organization.
- Develops a climate which attracts, keeps and motivates a diverse, multi-cultural high quality staff complement.
- Promotes active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work
Partner and Donor Liaison:
- Promotes the image and reputation of the organization and represents ZOCS at various fora as may be required.
- Advocates for the rights of OVC, particularly their right to education, with relevant stakeholders, with a primary focus on the government.
- Establishes sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with different stakeholders
- Liaises with donors and other key partners
Networks (internal / external):
- Staff (internal)
- Donors (external)
- Government (external)
- Schools (external)
- Communities (external)
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Education, Development studies, or any other relevant Social Science.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible organisational and/or programme management experience
- Experience at Chief Executive Officer level managing operational, project management, and administrative duties for internationally NGO funded programs will be an added advantage.
- Proven knowledge and traceable experience of running a complex education- or OVC-focused programmes.
- Good networks with the government, especially the Ministries of Education, Community Development and Social Welfare and Community schools in general will be an advantage.
- Proven team building and leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and solve complex problems
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability in meeting deadlines while producing quality results.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, including evidence of quality report writing and presentations.
Method of Application
To be considered for the position, apply to:
The Board Chairperson, Zambia Open Community Schools,
PO Box 50429, Plot 20, Tito Road, Rhodes Park,
You can also email your application letter, curriculum vitae and certified copies of academic and professional certificates to:
Ensure that you indicate in the subject line of your e-mail the job position applied for.
Zambia Open Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer