The Finance and Administrative Officer will provide operational, administrative and project implementation support across all projects implemented by THET in Zambia. These include the Health Technology Management Improvement Project and Volunteer Placement Pilot. Finance and Administrative Officer will provide a variety of administrative, coordination and logistical support for all projects across THET Zambia.
One billion people in the world do not have access to a qualified health worker. THET has a vision of a world where everyone everywhere has access to quality healthcare. We achieve this by training, educating and supporting health workers in Africa and Asia, working in partnership with organisations and volunteers from across the UK. Founded in 1988 by Professor Sir Eldryd Parry, THET is the only UK charity with this focus.
For thirty years, THET has developed health worker education through partnerships with the British government, overseas Ministries of Health and global bodies such as the World Health Organization. Partnering with over 130 NHS Trusts, Royal Colleges and academic institutions.
THET has managed over 300 grants in their 30 years, and is implementing projects through its offices in six countries: Ethiopia, Myanmar, Tanzania, Somalia and Somaliland, Uganda and Zambia. In the last ten years alone we have trained over 100,000 health workers.
THET has been working in Zambia since 2009, focusing on a number of its most urgent health needs via quality improvement, and strengthening the medical education available to health care professionals, including working in collaboration with the Ministry of Health to develop Masters of Medicine programmes in Anaesthesia, Pathology and Psychiatry, as well as developing the first pre-service training programme for medical equipment maintenance professionals, and the first BSc and MSc in Human Nutrition available in Zambia.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Administrative Support
- Provide administrate and logistical support for the office including making travel arrangements
- Ensure proper maintenance of filing system for all finance documentation, personnel files and procurement records and documents.
- Schedule regular and ad hoc staff meetings on a regular basis
- Take and disseminate notes and minutes during staff meeting and other relevant meetings
- Organization of meetings and workshops, accommodation and conference facilities as appropriate
- Support the development of internal financial reports and ensure timely sharing of information with THET London
- Arrange staff travel, transport, and prepare relevant documentation for staff including volunteers
- Manage all cash receipts and petty cash and ensure these are filed and stored securely
- Reconcile financial expenditures and submit them for authorization and payment
- Support external audit processes
- Process staff working advances (travel) and expense retirements
- Maintenance of internal expenditure control system with regard to office related expenses
- Support procurement in line with THET policies
- General Support
- Contribute to the development of internal policies and strategies and annual and periodic work plans and reports.
- Support the immigration process for foreign visitors including, but not limited to arrangements for visas and work permits by contacting the appropriate immigration authorities and embassies and ensure appropriate supporting documents are in place
- Support the development of project reports for donors
- Coordinate and disseminate all internal and external communications materials, including publicity and background documents and coordinate appropriate mailings or distribution
- Support the arrangements for programme meetings and travel arrangements
- Undertake any other duties and tasks appropriate to the role and level of the position as directed by the CD
- A diploma in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or recognised equivalent Degree in Accounting, Finance or business Administration is an advantage
- At least 4 years of proven experience in administrative work, financial management and reporting, as well as data entry
- Experience in donor reporting
- Experience in working for an international NGO
- Experience with global health work would be desirable
- Knowledge of NGO landscape in Zambia
- Knowledge of health system in Zambia
- Knowledge of financial management, administration good practice
- Computer literate with extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written English)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork
- Proven analytical, numerical and mature problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing needs and patterns of work.
- Strong commitment to THET’s cause and values
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Intercultural sensitivity and awareness
- Applicant must have the existing right to reside and work in Zambia
Method of Application
To Apply for this job, send your CV and Cover letter to the email below: Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated to.
THET is an equal opportunity employer and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.