Background: Build It International is an ambitious and growing NGO that creates opportunities for young people and their communities through skills training, work experience and essential community building projects. With a head office in the UK leading on fundraising and governance, the Zambia office is responsible for developing and delivering agreed programme activities.
Central to our work is training young men and women in quality skills so that they can go on to earn a living. We deliver this through our programme of community building construction projects and through skills training, currently focused on entry level building skills at our Centre for Excellence.
We have now completed 47 building projects and trained 1,029 men and women in building skills. The construction of our skills training Centre for Excellence has enabled us to significantly scale increase the number we train each year. By 2023 we aim to train 450 trainees a year whilst continuing to construct 3-4 schools and health clinics. The programme is delivered by a team of 25 staff led by the Country Director.
The Role: We are now seeking a Senior Programme Manager to join the Senior Management Team and lead in the effective implementation of our projects in Zambia. This is a new position that will coordinate the local team to ensure projects are delivered successfully, that risks are identified and managed and that the operations support a well-run programme consistent with our values. The role holder will demonstrate the ability to communicate and collaborate with the local team, UK team, as well as external stakeholders. Reporting to the Country Director, this role shall manage institutional and statutory funded projects, report to donors, and seek new funding opportunities.
Planning, Coordination and Operations:
- Lead in the development and delivery of the annual implementation plan
- Ensure that the Training Into Work team, Construction team, Procurement and Finance are working in a well-coordinated and efficient manner
- Ensure value for money is achieved across all projects and the Training Into Work Programme
- Ensure that operational and logistic challenges are resolved quickly
- Ensure all projects are delivered according to Build Its objectives, mission and values and in line with Build Its policies and procedures
- Ensure regular activity and budget review meetings are conducted
Donor Management, Reporting and Fundraising:
- Assist the Country Director to seek funding opportunities and help manage partnerships
- Write high quality reports required by donors and institutional funders
- Ensure compliance with institutional grant conditions
- Produce high quality concept notes and proposals with budgets
- Produce regular internal reports as required
- Serve as a link between the UK office and Zambia office, ensuring the UK office has sufficient information required for donor reporting, fundraising and communication purposes
Programme Delivery and Development:
- Lead in the development of a pipeline of community construction projects
- Contribute to programme strategy exercises
- Develop new programmes when required in line with Build Its strategy
- Lead in the organisation and management of Build It events including those associated with promoting Build It and meeting our advocacy goals
- Coordinate and support donor visits
- When required, represent the Country Director
- Country Director (line manager)
- Construction Operations Manager
- Head of Finance
- Training Coordinator
- Relationships Manager
- Senior Community Development Officer
- Senior Procurement Officer
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience of working in a similar senior management position is essential
- Degree in a relevant field required. Masters is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience of successfully coordinating a high performing team.
- Exceptional planning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task is essential.
- Budget management experience on projects of a similar scale.
- Demonstrable success in securing funding and reporting to institutional and statutory donors.
- Experience in managing statutory funded programmes and understanding of the reporting framework (e.g EU funded projects).
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
- Understanding of the vocational training sector is desirable.
- Experience of community work desirable.
- Understanding and belief in in BII’s mission, vision and values.
- Ability to work in Lusaka and Chibombo with travel to other project locations when required.
- Clean driving licence.
Please complete the form here and then send a one-page cover letter, clearly stating how you meet the requirements for the job and your motivations for applying together with a two-page summary CV to the email below: Please include SPM in the subject title. Do not send certificates at this stage.
*Only applications with both the form and requested documents submitted will be considered.