Senior chief Chiwala’s Area, Masaiti District, Ndola Zambia.
The Dangote Group is one of Africa’s leading conglomerates producing diversified products. Dangote Cement, a subsidiary of the Dangote Group, is the leading producer of cement in Zambia with a modern advanced integrated cement plant in Ndola, on the Copperbelt.
Dangote Cement requires action oriented, high performing and dedicated professional in the following disciplines:
Proven track record of successful project management across all stages of project development and implementation from start to finish.
Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and planning skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be the “champion” of all Production, Human Resources, Logistics and Financial issues in the Plant for other projects on renewable fuels.
- Initiate Renewable energy project and implement them upon approval by Management
- Provide strategic guidance and oversight in the development of strategic plans for the project.
- Study areas of implementation and usage of alternative fuels.
- Manage a project on alternate fuels at DCZL.
- Regular contact/engagement with local authorities.
- Ensure licenses are acquired and kept up to date.
- Ensure Operations are within the legal framework by working with councils, ZEMA, MSD etc.
- Come up with ideas of enhancing productivity by using other forms of renewable energy as a fuel.
- Develop and maintain high plant performance standards for the projects and take overall responsibility for all project related operations including purchasing and distribution, safety, industrial excellence and technical support, resources (people mobilization/development), customer orientation and logistics as well as production support functions such as mining, engineering and maintenance.
- Develop the value of the plant ‘assets’ through effective management of equipment, reserves, competencies and stakeholder relationships (plant ‘image’) in terms of project Management.
- Provide overall strategic leadership, direction and guidance for all Plant operations in terms of using other forms of fuels for the purpose of cost serving measures.
- Ensure the continuous growth and profitability of the organization’s business through other use of fuel as energy.
Budgeting & Planning:
- Champion the execution of the corporate strategy at the project level; Demonstrate ownership for the definition of the Project’s strategy and ensure alignment with the corporate strategy.
- Prepare the annual budgets and prudently monitor and manage the Project’s resources within the budgetary provision.
- Facilitate prompt implementation of the approved operational plans and ensure that project operations are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations of the land.
- Facilitate the definition of broad guidelines for the establishment of standards to ensure and measure the performance of project.
Plant Management Cycle:
- Oversee the conduct of in-depth research, assessment and analysis and benchmark the plant project management strategies against other major players in view of industry and economic realities in order to ensure maintenance and improvement of production standards.
- Oversee the execution and implementation of risk management frameworks and disaster recovery plans to ensure optimal plant performance and minimize operational losses.
- Continually control and monitor project performance through measurement and analysis through the use of standard tools, benchmarking and pre-defined Company indicators to be used for tracking.
- Demonstrate ownership for all technical issues in the projects.
- Optimize and adapt the project process and equipment in line with the Company’s improvement program/ action plans.
- Oversee the analysis of project forecast to determine production capacity required to meet forecast.
- Monitor project performance including cost & volumes of raw materials, energy & fuels, effective utilisation of equipment/machines and ensure alignment with planned production targets, delivery targets, profitability targets and other key performance measures.
- Implement appropriate strategies, plans and programmes for producing quality project and achieving set levels of Plant capacity utilisation and efficiency.
- Develop and enforce policies and procedures for production methods, quality and safety.
- Develop plans and processes which minimize project costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital.
- Create safe work conditions and mobilize all project employees and contractors on safety at work.
- Ensure project compliance with all local and national laws and regulations relating to cement manufacturing.
Finance and Cost Reduction:
- Oversee the execution of all necessary systems, controls, policies and procedures to ensure a rigorous financial framework for the Plant.
- Authorize expenses in line with the plant objectives and budget provisions.
- Provide oversight for the management of information systems and information system reporting tools.
- Demonstrate ownership for the implementation of a cost reduction program including cost tracking practices/methods in order to maintain competitive edge in the market and ensure increased overall performance. The cost reduction program should be reflected in:
- Fixed cost, variable cost, selling & general cost (pricing);
- Increased volumes (through reliability utilization and cement clinker ratio by using renewable energy);
- Effectiveness of project management practices.
Project Quality and Customer Satisfaction:
- Develop a customer oriented culture in alignment with the Company’s values ensuring prompt feedback in addressing customer complaints issues during the project
- Ensure the maintenance of project quality and provision of quality service during the execution of the project.
- Demonstrate ownership of quality assurance and control procedures as well as the overall quality of the project.
- Human Resources Management and Development:
- Identify the right mix of people, innovation and management to propel the project operations.
- Monitors overall manpower and material resource requirements to meet with Project budgets.
- Ensure the execution of succession plan and training plan for all staff in the project in order to preserve and develop key competencies.
- Maintain and foster positive Labour relations and communication during the project, so as not to contravene with the law.
- Stakeholder/ Community Relations:
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key organisations and champion the formulation of strategic project alliances with stakeholders.
- Develop sustainable relationships with external influencers and seek to establish relevant partnerships for optimal positioning of the Project.
- Demonstrate ownership for the representation of the Project with government and other regulatory bodies.
- Continually promote the company image in the local social economic and environmental community.
- Ensure that the laws and regulations pertaining to the activities are respected as well as protection of environment in compliance with Company standards.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of professional experience in business development, Project Management, industry/business engagement, alternative fuel technology/infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience in promoting and advancing deployment of natural gas vehicles and fuels.
- Skilled in written and oral communications. Ability to effectively present to diverse stakeholder groups.
- Strategic and innovative thinker who can effectively propose and advance new ideas.
- Resilient, flexible, and a skilled problem solver.
- Experienced with data management and analysis to generate reports and support IT team.
- Must have a “can do” attitude and be able to thrive in a fast paced work environment.
- Proven track record of successful project management across all stages of project development and implementation from start to finish.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and planning skills.
- The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
Method of Application
Candidates meeting the above requirements should send their applications to:
The General Manager HR& Admin and send them to,
Please note that you are to attach an Application Letter & Latest CV ONLY in Microsoft word format as ONE document.
Position should be clearly mentioned in the subject line e.g. “Alternative Fuel Manager”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.